1.1K views

We signed up for Optimum/Cablevision on 5/25/12 after a promotion they ran for Triple Play with FREE Multi Room DVR. The installation was on 5/30/12.

Since that day we have not had use of any of the DVRs. We have had 2 dozen phone calls, emails talking to supervisors, managers CSRs, technicians and engineers. We have been told we need to reboot (more than a dozen times) to no avail. They have sent a technician who couldn't fix it.

They have asked us to accept a non-multi room DVR - we accepted - guess what - doesn't work. 3 weeks later and a river of total aggravation we just got off the phone with a CS Manager who told us basically to go jump in the lake. If we want DVRs we should come get them and install them ourselves and they are pretty certain that those will work? This is the most insufferable company to deal with they are disgusting - in every way.

If you have to choose - GO WITH FIOS - FIOS IS THE VERY BEST CABLE COMPANY ON LONG ISLAND AND IN NY STATE - GO WITH FIOS - CABLEVISON SUCKS - THEY ARE CROOKS AND LIARS AT OPTIMUM / CABLEVISION - THIER EQUIPMENT SUCKS OPTIMUM CABLEVISION HAS THE WORST PHONE SERVICE - THEIR CABLE TV SUCKS - EVERYTHING ABOUT OPTIMUM / CABLEVISION SUCKS - THEY ARE UNBELIEVABLY DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH - RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN - I'M TELLING YOU AS A BRAND NEW CUSTOMER - OPTIMUM / CABLEVISION SUCKS - DEALING WITH THEIR CS MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS = YOU'D GET MORE RESULTS WORKING WITH A CS FACILITY IN INDIA!!! OPTIMUM/CABLEVISION SUCKS!!!!!!!

RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN FROM THEM. SIGNED: A VERY ANGRY CUSTOMER (Who will also be filing this complaint on-line at 7 different complaint sites and the BBB until we have DVRs installed).

Comments

#1421965

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY TO HAVE AND I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT. IT SUCKS

I hate optimum, they suck so bad and my apartment building has some kind of contract where I can't even get direct TV. Down with Cablevision.

#1019735

***. It is a promotional price.

Means that it is a promo.

To get you on. *** you

Cablevision (of Cresskill) sucks. I'm only speaking about TV.

We've had it for over 30 years and back in the 80s when things were basic and Cheap there were few problems aside from outages and channels flip-flopping due to their programming. No matter how much we complained we still got weak, grainy reception on Many channels and even threats they'd charge us if we didn't shutup. Everything got worse with "digital migration" in the 21st Century. I'd come home one day and Half of my favorite channels had vanished!

They wanted us to pay more and more for them with different selection groups. Then a year or so later they inexplicably ALL VANISHED with a messaging stating they'd gone All Digital so every TV now needed a special addressable box, with monthly fees for each! Greedy bastards! I don't even have HD sets and the cables themselves are Not fiber optic and haven't changed one damned bit!

Up to this point I could put splitters anywhere and plug in a TV anywhere without special BS security addressable boxes complete with cards and all manner of paranoid Big Brother ***! So we dropped to just 3 TV sets and even then we lost Most of our channels because of their new package deals! The new boxes were absolute garbage within the first year 2 of the 3 failed and had to be replaced. Then other *** started happening like signal dropouts again on many channels.

Their trained monkeys came over and couldn't find anything wrong--naturally, it's Intermittent and quite active during the night hours. Because, well, our 30+ year old cable leading from the pole to our house is OLD and they're too frigging cheap/lazy to replace that--they replaced everything else! How could it get any worse? How about more hidden and rising fees.

Then they souped up their remote's online menu with animated windows and whatnot which make it impossible to Fully Load Onscreen so if you want to scroll ahead to see what's on TV a little later in the day The Box Locks Up! You have to manually turn it off and on again just to get out of the What's On menu! In other words, aside from what's currently playing you can't use the guide to see what Will be playing X hours in the future on the channels.

Really brilliant, I have to go back to the newspaper listings... I've had it with this bunk.

Brooklyn, New York, United States #692239

I could not agree with you more. We were constantly visited by our local Optimum rep who I kindly told to leave until they had a multi-room DVR.

They finally came back in June and advised that they had it. Well we got it installed to "save money" on FIOS and guess what?? It is awful the dam thing only works sometimes. When you call they are useless (if they answer the phone.) It was supposed to record 4 at once and now they actually claim 10 at once..

Who cares how many you can record if you go to watch and all you get is a black screen. I will be going back to FiOs in 2 weeks!

Stamford, Connecticut, United States #686977

Just as a counterpoint to above. I am an optimum customer and have 3 DVR's in the house and have had nothing but good results with it.

Telephone services have been normal and reliable and internet services are fantastic. I don't know what to say other than works for me.

to mac #692748

Hey Mac from CT. If you don't have a "complaint" to make why don't you go to the correct website - here's the link for you:

"I'm a *** with time to kill so I find complaint sites and write good things to make the people who are having real problems look bad.com

I haven't had much problem with Optimum at my house. However at other family member's houses I've noticed countless problems that I simply cannot fathom solutions to; bad TV signal, house alarms going off, slow internet, inoperable DVR "plus" etc.

(I personally use the old style hard drive DVR box and want to say that is probably one of the best choices I have ever made. But I've used the cloud based on at family member's houses and it simply flat out just doesn't work.)

I think that the problems are due to locations people live in rather than the service itself.

Because I've been using Optimum for well over 8 years now and have had no major issues with them up until recently with their new guide update causing the function of my DVR to change recording styles. But the other person in my family has had to have a tech over practically every week and they never actually DO anything.

Bronx, New York, United States #677395

I have to agree that Optimum is a nitemare. I've been using DVR services through various providers for over a decade...and 10 years later, with all the updates and improvements we've gotten to experience through other providers, Optimum is far and away the worst.

Aside from the fact that EVERYTHING "sticks" from the remote (no matter the function, it takes 2-5+ seconds before it recognizes the command) - we can only pause for 15 minutes, the rewind/FF has a mind of it's own, the skipback button has never worked, getting out of the DVR function once in it takes an Act of Congress, when we resume play providing we're ready before our 15 minutes is up...we can't FF (through commercials, one of the joys of DVR), and if we're in the middle of watching something and want to record it - don't get your hopes up. It won't record the entire program even if you've been on that channel the whole time. Instead, it records only from the point you clicked record - and since you also can't rewind live TV, that leaves you up a creek as it relates to one of DVR's most basic features. What were we told when we called in, aside from reboot and replace the batteries in the remote (both no-brainers)?

They're coming out with a new package "sometime" in the summer that will give us more storage space.

I'm aggressively shopping for new service as we speak. We can't get Dish or DirecTV (been a happy customer of both in the past) because we can't set up dishes here, and FIOS hasn't made it to our building yet. If anyone knows of other cable services in the Bronx, please let me know!

And I'm sorry to bash Optimum because there are clearly a lot of very happy (and useful) buyers out there who love it. As someone who is used to flying around a navigation screen and coming to the table with the minor expectation that it will work AT LEAST as well as the DVR services I had in 2001...I expect a little more than a dial tone when I pick up the phone and/or free HBO.

to Hank #800807

Not happy with the billing service of Optimum. Every month the fees go up and they added services without my permission and charged me for that also. I'm done with these greedy money hungry POS.

Middletown, New York, United States #617374

I take no stock in anything written by cowards who spout bs and do not have guts to state their name I have had cablevision and have always had great service.

to Anonymous Edison, New Jersey, United States #677627

You're loser ***. Annonymous from Middletown, NY

Do you not understand the basic principals of filing an

on-line complaint you dim-wit.

Albertson, New York, United States #602964

I also have had no problem with Optimum. In fact, a small error in billing, on their part, rewarded me with an extra year of the promotional rate.

I do have a question about FIOS - I've heard their hidden fees and taxes are horrible - Is that true? If so, how much more than the quoted rate?

Had Cable for about 30 yrs in Kings Park. Then switched to FIOS & was in heaven.

Perfect TV & DVR, speedy internet, good phone service. Then I moved to Brookhaven township & had to go back to Optimum. It's like winning the lottery & then losing the money. I live in a condo which doesn't allow dishes.

Cable is my only choice. Crappy refurbished DVR's which appear to be the throwaways that Time-Warner got rid of when they got new equipment.

I've been here 4 years this month & my 3rd DVR is beginning to die. I feel like my money goes for the Dolans' bar bills instead of improved equipment.

I have a feeling you work for fios. im also a brand new optimum customer from westchester NY.

everything works fine, phones work great, tv works great and for a year i get all the hbo and movie channels. Im alot happier than I was, I used to have dish. cheaper and works great. I cant understand why your DVR doesnt work, what cable box do you have?

I have scientific atlanta and everything works fine. I suggest you call them again and threaten to cancel your service right there and then if you are having that much trouble, though I am satisfied doesnt mean that the company is perfect, your problem could be very real.

sometimes all they understand is hardball. so to sum it up, im sorry your having problems, but my experience has been very pleasant